Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some Prints from this Semester

Here's some stuff I did this semester:

This is my print for our class theme of Justice/Injustice. This is about how UN-just our school system is, and how many young people living in inner cities come from poor, uneducated families, and because they attend poorly funded, and poorly staffed schools they receive a sub-par education and then the cycle repeats itself. Because I am a going to be a teacher, and I believe everyone deserves a quality education this injustice makes me very upset! WE NEED TO FIX THE SYSTEM!











The previous two prints are a continuation of my work about my Dad who died a year ago from Esophogeal Cancer. With this small series I was trying to capture things and feelings I am afraid of forgetting about my dad -- in the top one, I was attempting to capture the feeling of his touch. The way his hands felt was unlike the feeling I would get from any other person. It was a Dad's touch, and carried with it so much meaning. I can still remember how it felt and constantly wish I could just feel him grab my shoulder or pat my back one more time -- there is an ache where he is missing. The second print is about the way he smelled. There is something about the way each person smells that is so individual and carries so many memories. I don't want to forget the way he smelled because it carries so many memories and feelings about him and how much I loved him. His smell reminds me of warm, comfort, skin, and cotton -- it reminds me of the way he would squish into a chair and pester you all the time... just all those things he did to show love.


The above two prints are also a continuation of the work I've done about my Dad. The top one I began last semester, but just added color to this semester. I call these prints "Acceptance 1" and "Acceptance 2" because my Dad's religious beliefs and I believe helped him accept his death. I began working on the Elephant print because I started reading about Tibetan Buddhism because my Dad was into aspects of Buddhism and I wanted to understand his beliefs. I created the second print, of Mary, because he also believed very much in the Virgin Mary. I have no concrete beliefs about religion or life and death but I want his beliefs to be true so that what he wanted to happen after death is truly happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment